Saturday, October 12, 2024

My Action RPG Idea Pitch

I was on the PS Store looking at RPG Maker. It's a franchise that involved players creating and sharing their own RPG to the world. I would love to try it out and make my own RPG. But I am into action RPGs more. They have more content and more plots and vibes. That's why I wanted to do this pitch for my action RPG idea, so that being said, it's time to begin my pitch.

First off, a open world perspective with 3D graphics. When the Trials of Mana remake was announced, it shaked up the gameplay by being open world rather than having the top down view to have the Class System and an improved combat system. It's common for action RPGs to have an open world perspective with 3D graphics.

Next up, Unreal Engine 5. One of the coolest things about Unreal Engine 5 is that it brings realistic elements into video games using Nanite and Lumen. That would include improvements to character lighting, real-world physics of sweating, cloth, grass, hair, jiggling and water. Know the Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo on the PS5? Because an open world perspective with 3D graphics is a part of my pitch, the game would use Unreal Engine 5 to have real world physics.

Now let's move on to the next thing. A party of six characters with an even composition. When we entered the PS2 era, one of the RPGs that have the party of six characters with an even gender composition is Wild Arms 5. Now, I love Wild Arms 5. The game has a party of six that is even by gender. Three male characters and three female characters. I remember playing this game from back in the day. It's a great RPG.

However, since this is my ARPG pitch and Wild Arms 5 is a turn-based RPG, instead of thinking Wild Arms 5, let's think a little more in line with another ARPG that has the party of six with an even gender composition. That is Ys: Memories of Celceta. And I don't mean follow it up to be similar in terms of having up to three characters in the battlefield and other three outside the battlefield. But picture an ARPG where you would have more than three characters in battle like in the Last Story, Valhalla Knights 3 and Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness. So again, while it would have all six characters in a party, the battlefield doesn't have to be limited to three characters. It would have all six characters in the battlefield and the player can switch between characters.

The next thing I like to see on my ARPG idea is gameplay and combat inspired by the open world mainline Mana games. Trials of Mana and Visions of Mana have the best gameplay and combat system that involves starting battle, earning EXP and money after defeating every enemy in an area and running against the border to escape from battles and not certain battles we can't escape from. I think that my action RPG idea is gonna work like that. What would also work is that when you get into a town, you will only play as the main protagonist that would probably be a male, can't use weapons and the rest of the party is scattered. The action RPGs that produced the best gameplay and combat system were the open world Mana games.

The next thing that I want to see on an ARPG idea that is admittedly an asset from Trials of Mana, and that is classes assigned to each character. Classes are specific to each character and they give them abilities, so this will be in my action RPG idea pitch. Each character would have one class that have up to four levels and each level would give you a Class Ability and each character would have their Class Ability gauge that can hold up to four levels. You can't level up a class until you have a special item required to level up classes.

The second thing for classes is weapons. There are a lot of possibilities that characters can use weapons, so imagine if characters can only use one weapon. I think it would be cool if the first male character that would be the main protagonist wields his greatsword like Val does, the first female character wields her boots for kicking attacks like Palamena does, the 2nd male character wields his cards like Morley does, the 2nd female character wields fans like Careena does and a 3rd male character that is a young male character wields his umbrella like Julei does. But what about a magic wand? Is it gonna be left behind? Of course not! The 3rd female character would wield her magic wand, kind of like Angela.

The characters are gonna play like that and the party of six is gonna work for sure. So would the class system.

Next up is interesting parts. You know that some RPGs have interesting parts. First off, the Johnny Appleseed bit from Wild Arms 5. If you aren't familiar with Johnny Appleseed, he was an American pioneer nurseryman, but in this case, the Johnny Appleseed part would be on my ARPG idea as a place like Wild Arms 5 has. The reason why I'm telling you this is because I enjoyed Wild Arms 5. I want to revisit that game and it's happening in the future because of PS Plus Premium.

Secondly in the interesting parts department is what I experienced on Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is getting into a cave located at an island. There is some degree to this when it comes to exploring dungeons. Like we know that we had to go inside the Pirate's Grotto. So what if we go into a cave located at an island on my ARPG idea? That can be a good idea to me, as long as it's not gonna be as tedious as the one in Enchanted Arms.

And speaking of tediousness, this is definetely one of the things I don't want in my ARPG idea. Annoying parts. Parts like these were always a struggle and the cave from Enchanted Arms is not the only thing I don't want. There are other annoying parts I don't want implemented. First off is tedious puzzles. There has been one game that has the part where we must complete the puzzle in a limited amount of time. It's Genma Onimusha. I loved the game, but what I hate the most is solving the puzzle while a countdown is present. It became a tedious struggle. That's why I don't want any and I mean any bullcrap on my ARPG idea.

Second one under the annoying parts department is forked ways in dungeons. Now that's another annoying thing I do not want to see in my ARPG idea. Take Tales of Graces f for example. The dungeon in the game is annoying to deal with. You just have to walk around in the dungeon until you finally make progress. To have annoying parts in an RPG is just a hassle to deal with and it's a waste of time.

And last but not least, giant creatures for characters. If you played Final Fantasy XIII, it handled all six characters beating their Eidolon to earn it. And a TV cartoon that aired back in 2008 on Cartoon Network that involved teens using giant elemental creatures is Gormiti: The Lords of Nature!. Don't get me wrong. I do love me some Gormiti. Now, the characters have to summon their Gormiti in battle, so I thought that an ARPG would have that. But they would use it during giant battles and I think it's gonna be more Final Fantasy XIII than Gormiti in terms of giant creatures not being elemental.

And last but not least, Unreal Engine 5. One of the coolest things about Unreal Engine 5 is that it can bring realistic elements into video games using Nanite. That would include improvements to character lighting, sweat and damage effects, improvements to 3D world

If I were tasked to develop an action RPG, this is how I would do it by bring assets from other RPGs to this one. But this one is just on paper and there might be some check boxes that can be left unchecked. So if this gonna convert the Mana fans into buying this game, will they want this? If so, what's the point of an action RPG idea other than cutscenes? If it was greenlit and the trailer to this game dropped, then fans would dislike bomb the trailer to show that fans wouldn't want it because their action RPG would be a Visions of Mana-infused action RPG with its bland cast of characters because of what I said about their weapons and it would flop once it releases.

That's what happened to Concord. After two weeks, the game has flopped and was shut down. What has happened is that the game has a bland and uninspirational cast of characters having their Guardians of the Galaxy style, slow-paced gameplay and the pricing of $40. Fans are personally glad that Concord flopped that they didn't want this game since both trailers were dislike bombed.

However, if you catch my drift, any respective company can make an action RPG that would be inspired by Visions of Mana, the Last Story, Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness and Valhalla Knights 3 to have several assets from the mentioned action RPGs. Besides, Naughty Dog developed a platformer that was inspired by their favorites, like Donkey Kong, Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog, and that is Crash Bandicoot.

Just like that, this will conclude my pitch for an action RPG. Also, I have a pitch for the next mainline Mana title potentially Seasons of Mana coming soon, so stay tuned for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment