Wednesday, September 9, 2026

BREAKING: Mega Man X: Command Mission is Coming to PlayStation Plus

In today's post that has some breaking news, I'm talking about a turn-based JRPG that I hadn't talked about in ages. And that is one of the turn-based JRPGs in my childhood, Mega Man X: Command Mission. Now, I played Mega Man X: Command Mission when I was a kid back in the day. I hadn't played this game for decades and guess what? It's apparently changing because Mega Man X: Command Mission is officially announced at State of Play to launch on the classics catalog September 15. If you're not familiar with this game, I'll explain it now.

Mega Man X: Command Mission is a turn-based RPG spin-off for the Mega Man X sub franchise primed to launch on PlayStation Plus Premium on PS4 and PS5. Command Mission's entails the original characters never before seen in any of the mainline games like Steel Massimo, Spider, Marino and Cinnamon. The original story involves X and his team's struggle with a criminal organization known as the Rebellion Army, led by Epsilon. Their goal is to turn Giga City into their nefarious... Holiday Inn resort to make Reploids a part of the Rebellion in the Northern Hemisphere. It's up to the Anti-Rebellion League to stop the Rebellion and bring peace to Giga City.

During combat, it uses a queue window to determine who is next to perform an action and is manipulated with decreasing or increasing speed. There are sub attacks that consume a small amount WE and Action Triggers that require at least 50% WE. The higher the WE, the more powerful it will be. Each character has a Hyper Mode, which offers temporarily fortified armor and augmented power. Examples include X's fire suit, Massimo's golden armor and... Marino's sexy Quicksilver armor. Look at them thighs. Look at how attractive and juicy they are.

If you need a better plan, you can equip Force Metals, trinkets that augment the character's stats. I equip Analyzer on all characters to unlock Analyze on the combat menu. With it, I can pinpoint the enemies' weakness and their stats. If the enemy's data shows that it can take 150% or 200% damage from water attacks, it is intended to convey an enemy being weak against water. Now this a sound strategy that is basically coined to explain how we exploit weaknesses in Visions of Mana and Pokemon.

But very loosely, an enemy, in this case, would be Mach Jentra, is weak against water, but strong against fire. You must use water attacks on Mach Jentra since he is weak against water. It is imperative to equip certain weapons that exploit weaknesses. That's what the star by the number of damage taken means.

The thing is, Capcom gave it a shot at making a turn-based RPG spin off for the Mega Man X franchise. While a fan favorite, it turned out to be a fail. If we look at the Metacritic scores and the sales for both versions, the PS2 version scored a 69 out of 100 and sold 36,635 units. The GameCube version scored a 67 out of 100 and sold 18,599 units. The PS2 version is relatively better than the GameCube version in terms of the rate of random encounters. One battle system designer has expressed his stark interest in making a sequel, implying that a hypothetical Command Mission 2 would have enemies present and visible on the field instead of annoying random encounters while Nintendo Life listed it as a game they like to see on the Switch. And guess what? Since we have GameCube games on the Switch 2, the GameCube version could one day be playable on the Switch. But I prefer the PS2 version.

Fortunately, there is one good news. With the success of Onimusha: Way of the Sword and Mega Man: Dual Override and a brand new Okami on its way, Capcom is looking to follow SEGA's footsteps by reviving more of their IPs that have been dormant for decades. Other than collections and the mobile game, Mega Man X could one day make a comeback with the opportunity for a Command Mission remake to have the same treatment as Expedition 33 with the use of the RE Engine, innovative and cinematic turn-based combat that involves pressing a button at the right time to deal more damage, enemies visible outside of combat, new features, better cutscenes and change the way we equip Force Metals without the use of slots and balance the bosses and the regular enemies' level range.

And not just Mega Man X. Whether you're a fan of Asura's Wrath, Viewtiful Joe, Darkstalkers, Final Fight, Breath of Fire, whomever you can think of!

Speaking of Breath of Fire, this leads me to my point. Since Mega Man X: Command Mission will be the first turn-based RPG of the mid 2000s by Capcom to ever launch into the classics catalog, the notorious Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter now has more of a chance to launch into the classics catalog. This allows a precedent to be set, especially for fans of turn-based PS2 JRPGs in the golden age.

I know what you're trying to ask. Am I gonna revisit Mega Man X: Command Mission? Obviously, but this time, it's gonna be way different than the time I played this game in my childhood. How is gonna be different? Well, during my childhood, I had trouble because I kept on escaping battles and rushing through the game. But I can change that, by doing this.

Defeating the members of the Rebellion Army requires a little more time levelling up, so stalling and fighting more battles to level up the party enough before moving on is the way to do it. And also equiping stronger weapons and weapons that exploit weaknesses is a sound strategy, especially when defeating the bosses after a fewest amount of turns, so when I'm going against Wild Jango, I need to have fire-type weapons because thunder-type enemies are weak against fire. However, defeating Epsilon is gonna require more time in the oven levelling up the party.

Here's the beauty to this. If I get the party to lv. 35, I'll have a better chance of kicking Epsilon's butt and will be overkill during round two with Scarface. But if I get the party to lv. 40, I'll have a very overkill chance of defeating both Scarface during round two and Epsilon in a fewest amount of turns taken. In the sprit of commerce, I think I'll get the party to lv. 40, because it's an overkill way to defeat Epsilon in the fastest amount of time.

I have a Let's Play series planned for Command Mission, but for some reason, somehow, Remote Play shuts off on its own without warning despite plugging in an Ethernet cord, so sadly, it won't be until I figure out why it shuts down without warning. That or until Capcom decided to port it to PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment