Wednesday, April 19, 2023

How Wi-Fi is Bad in Fighting Games

One of the biggest conflicts in fighting games is Wi-Fi. I know that Wi-Fi is less stable than wired on fighting games. Honestly, there is a majority of people who have a no Wi-Fi policy to ban Wi-Fi users from their online lobbies since they wanted online sessions to have players who are using wired. The Wi-Fi indicator is shown on fighting games with rollback netcode. It represents that players are using Wi-Fi. If the Wi-Fi indicator is not shown, they are using a wired connection.

I know that some people use Wi-Fi as long as they check their connection and make sure that it doesn't go bad. And then, McDonald's Wi-Fi is not just a meme, it's also real and it doesn't have enough connection. It produced a slideshow and I don't think someone who wants to play Smash Ultimate is gonna bring their Switch to McDonalds and use its Wi-Fi there. They probably would deal with playing a video game slideshow.

I was able to get my USB to ethernet cord because my laptop lacks a ethernet port since I heard ethernet is much stable than Wi-Fi. I got one from Best Buy over a year ago and I was intrigued by its speed. Most people are strict to ban Wi-Fi and it being less stable is why it is not allowed in certain online tournaments and casuals.

Now, if I enter a lobby with a Wi-Fi indicator on my name, I will be kicked out because of the strict no Wi-Fi policy they enforced on, so I had to plug in an ethernet cord so that I wouldn't be kicked out of lobbies. But fighting games in general aren't the only thing Wi-Fi is bad on. There are other genres where Wi-Fi is bad on like hero shooters, MOBAs and others. The funny thing about this is that I wanted Hi-Rez to add a Wi-Fi indicator to their games so that it can make it easy to tell if they are using Wi-Fi. Little did I know that no matter how close to your router, Wi-Fi will go bad and games download slowly. Even while streaming a game.

Before I end this post, I am announcing that the casual I'm running will allow Wi-Fi players into my lobby, but I do have one rule for them. They must check and make sure that their ping and jitter are green before they ready up. If it's yellow, they can either ready up or wait until it's green before readying up. If it's red, they don't ready up until it is green or yellow or I kick them out if it still goes bad. It's a traffic light kind of thing. I have finished setting up my server on Discord, but I can't share it to anyone yet. I need to do some final checks on the rules and format first. It might be a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment