Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Joe's Monologues - 11/15/23

We are approaching the end of 2023 and headed towards 2024. It's time for the next iteration of Joe's Monologues, so marvel in as I monologue what's happening.

Did you like the previous Skullgirls X BBTAG updates? What makes it special is that I added Minette, Feng, Venus and Christmas to my projects because they are eligible for their BBTAG palettes to be legal during my online casual I postponed planning, along with going full blast also on Steam when Marie comes out until I get a new high-end laptop. I hope you like them because they are coming along real nicely to become even more of a masterpiece. I am just one character away from hitting the 20th character on my projects.

But that's not the only thing I am monologing. I want to talk about a platform-based fighting game I enjoyed playing, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2. It is a sequel and a huge improvement that kills every problem Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 1 created.

There are several problems in All-Star Brawl 1. At the launch of the first installment, voice acting couldn't be implemented, which was the worst problem that was actually solved by implementing voice acting on a later patch. The Ready to Fight! sign you see in Smash Bros. games blocked most of the character portraits, making it harder to see where the player tokens are when it comes to changing the CPUs' characters. The gameplay feels dull and it's not completely in tandem with Smash standards. It's because it lacks shielding and uses a rock-paper-scissors mechanic that became a huge pain. Even my rule settings are not saving. That's how it got a 7 in IGN. It ended up with 25 characters after all three DLC characters were released in the first Season Pass and a second one didn't get greenlit.

But in All-Star Brawl 2, it is not the case because it launched with better voice acting, gameplay is greatly refined, the rock-paper-scissors mechanic is retired in favor of shields, my rule settings are saved and the Slime mechanic is an interesting touch. The Slime meter uses three bars and draws inspiration from Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gear with bursts, cancels, EX special moves and cinematic Ultimate Attacks. They are so insane. Even April O'Neal's is really anime because it's a Spirit Bomb Ultimate Attack and I had to fall in love with her, like when Mightykeef fell in love with March 7th in that anticipated Honkai: Star Rail skit I desired. Also, check out TMNT: Mutant Mayhem. You're gonna enjoy it.

It started out with 25 characters at launch, but more characters are on their way and they are slated to release throughout 2024. There is a first patch being developed and it has a lot of changes based on their feedback, including adding the announcer voice lines during gameplay, which I don't understand. You know what change I want? If they make the CPU use their Slime meter more often in higher difficulties. Sadly, the characters from the first game didn't make it and got cut, including the Shredder, the iconic villain of the TMNT franchise seen at the end of TMNT: Mutant Mayhem to create a cliffhanger. But Rocksteady is in the Season Pass along with Mr. Krabs, Zuko and Iroh.

I got to hand it to Fair Play Labs for knocking Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 out of the park by solving every single problem the first one created. I also heard that it is nominated for best fighting game at this year's upcoming Game Awards. I know it may not be Game of the Year, but we'll see which game earns the Game of the Year title. I plan to get it also on the Switch so that I can play it on the go on longer car trips like I did with Team Sonic Racing. And if I can be able to get the gist of what's going on, it's the lore.

And now, with that out of the way, it's time to talk about what has been many days since the sunset of something called the Paladins Stream Team. It was created back in 2016 and it refreshes the list of Stream Team members every year. And now, where it stands, the Paladins Stream Team has been officially been sunset on that day Halloween starts after seven years. This is due to the fact that Paladins is shifting to a more communal and independent approach to benefit making Paladins the best game it can be. I am sad that it had to be defunct along with AoC and the Switch port, but it's for the better. There is a next update in the works and it's unclear that Update Shows will still be aired or not on Paladins' Twitch channel. We'll see.

But the SMITE Stream Team is still ongoing and it's highly likely to still be supported for many years to come along with the Switch port and the Olympians, so all eyes on that. The SMITE World Championship is approaching. The regular phase is finished with the Gilded Gladiators' part in finally getting a win. However, that is not enough to get them to the Playoffs because only the top three teams on each division can earn their spot at the SWC Playoffs. This means that Gladiators, along with the Eldritch Hounds, will not be able to make it. Well, they are rookies, so it makes sense for them to be trash.

Well, it looks like I have reached the end of this episode of Joe's Monologues. There is nothing left to talk about at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment